Wallonia Export & Investment Agency, your one-stop shop for your foreign investment
Did you know setting up your company in Belgium and its southern region Wallonia is one of the fastest places in Europe to establish a business?
And you don’t have to do it alone either! The Wallonia Export & Investment Agency can help you:
choose the right location for your business
identify relevant tax benefits, incentives and subsidies
spot new business opportunities
grow your network in the region
manage the legal aspects of setting up a business abroad
... and more!
To help you capitalize on Wallonia’s talented and motivated workforce and stimulate innovation, both the federal and regional governments offer strong investment incentives to the private sector. A series of measures has been put in place for all investors wanting to develop their business in Wallonia: e.g. financial incentives, tax incentives and support for R&D.
Based on the determined criteria, an investment bonus (capital grant) may be granted to companies investing in Wallonia.
Foreign companies that invest in Wallonia can receive investment aid based on criteria including:
- the category of the company (SME, Large Company)
- the location of the investment
- the possible job creation
- the interest of the activity
- the aid scheme requested
There are several tax incentives available for companies that wish to invest in Wallonia:
• an 80% deduction on the withholding tax for R&D employees
• an innovation income tax deduction of up to 85%
• public subsidies and repayable cash advances
• patent income deduction
• tax deductions for investments in patents and R&D assets
Support for R&D
Wallonia supports businesses that have R&D projects, whether they are involved in basic research or applied research. Basic research aims to acquire new knowledge in order to develop new products. Applied research uses knowledge and discoveries to create new products and services. All businesses can receive financial aid, whatever their size. Aids are offered for R&D which aim to help companies reinforce their innovation potential, acquire external knowledge for a project's implementation, conduct a research project, carry out a development project, create a spin-out from technologies mastered by the company but not exploited yet or protect innovation.
A warm and welcoming region
Come to Wallonia for the biotech benefits, stay for the wonderful and welcoming atmosphere. Young, warm-hearted and multicultural, Belgium’s southern region has a lot to offer.
Did you know?
- Wallonia is a melting pot of 150 different nationalities.
- Wallonia is the birthplace of Tintin and many other comic book heroes.
- More than 27,000 foreign students come to study in Wallonia every year